Sunday, February 8, 2009

Some Love Facebook '25 Random Things' Fad, Some Hate It

If you are a Facebook user you've probably been "tagged" in what is quickly becoming a Facebook viral fad called "25 Random Things About Me." According to published reports an estimated 5 million of these notes - or 125 million facts - have popped up in the last week on Facebook.


Facebook

In this undated image provided by Facebook is shown a page featuring the social networking site's...


 
(Facebook/AP Photo)

The way it works is someone tags you (and 24 other Facebook users) and shares 25 random things about themselves. In turn, your are supposed to type up a list of 25 random things about yourself and share them with the person who tagged you and 24 other people. It's a variation of one of those chain letters that required you to forward a missive to 10 people - or else.


While some people love this latest fad, some loath it. Here is a top ten list of reasons I both love and hate the "25 Random Things About Me" fad. Why just 10 reasons, you ask? Because one of the things I hate about the "25 Random Things" list is the list is too long.


LOVE - It's a rallying cry to highlight our individualism in an anonymous digital culture.


HATE - I hate "25 Random Things" lists that use way too many clich?©s, try too hard to be funny, and those whose lists descend into creative narcissism.


LOVE - I love the fact it saved me from having a 30-minute conversation with my co-worker about her babies. Instead I wasted 5 minutes on Facebook reading about them.


HATE - The guilt of knowing I'm just too lazy to ever share 25 random things with my Facebook friends.


LOVE - The delicious irony: We rail


against Facebook for failing to protect our privacy, then take a naked stroll through the town common.

HATE - I hate NOT getting tagged to read a "25 Random Things" list by people I thought were my friends.

LOVE - The voyeur in me loves seeing friends share way too much. It's like watching a text-based train wreck.


HATE - The editor in me that suffers through a list where my friends share way too much boring details - "I love the color brown."


LOVE - I love that it's a perfect way to be fake and pseudo sensitive to impress that special someone that I'm just right for them.


HATE - I hate "25 Random Things" lists because they are a further dumbing down of the way we communicate with each other. What's next, a 25 Random Reasons Why You Should Hire Me cover letter sent to a potential employer? I'm sure this one has already been tried, along with a text message follow up.


Source : http://www.abcnews.go.com/